Don’t you just love it when a runway trend makes a naturally transition to the red carpet? The latest celebrity craze right now are short suits! When more than a handful of stars are jumping on the trend, you know we need to zoom in on it.
Short suits have emerged on the catwalk shows of Proenza Schlouer, Tibi, Carven, Jenni Kayne and more. The stand out piece for me was courtesy of Carven who adorned an all white short suit paired with multi-coloured blouse for a preppy chic look!
Celebrities such as Eva Longoria, Kate Winslet, Rochelle Wiseman, Amanda Seyfield, Caroline Flack to name a few have all showed their love for this sexy yet playful look by wearing it on the red carpet.
Short suits come in different styles that would work for anyone. It could be tweed for a chanel-esque look, tailored, sequinned or bright coloured! Here are a few tips for you to nail this look:
* Opt for a neutral toned top underneath i.e white, black or navy blue. Your choice of shorts will determine which top you go for. See Rochelle Wiseman, Kate Winslet and Caroline Flack for style inspiration.
* Mix and match your short suits although matching blazers, suits and even your shoes are the way to stay true to the trend. You’ll be oozing runway style. Do it à la Eva Longoria!
* Go beyond the fashion norm and wear the Proenza Schouler look without an inner top. Be sure to botton up your blazer all the way through. Beyonce does it well.
* Make sure you strike the right length balance between your blazer and shorts. Michelle Williams misses the fashion mark here by looking too formal.
* This trend is everyone but tall fashionistas have an advantage. Petite ladies, you need your 4 inch heels and stick to slightly fitted shorts while tall girlies should opt for scallop loose shorts.
If you’re not yet convinced, here’s a DIY fashion tip for you: Instead of going out and buying a new short suit, try a black blazer and black shorts from your closet on a night town. If you’re loving this, head straight over to Warehouse, Oasis, ASOS and Reiss. I can’t wait to get my hands on this coral short suit for warehouse – So S/S 12!